Ingredients Needed for Red Velvet Cake
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons of vinegar
1 teaspoon red food coloring
7 ounces of butter
1 ¼ cups of powdered sugar
1½ cups of flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup buttermilk
1 pound cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
raspberries for garnishing
strawberries for garnishing (halved)
How to Cook Red Velvet Cake
- Add the cocoa, oil, vinegar, and food coloring to a small bowl. Mix until even. Set aside.
- Add 4 ounces of butter to the dough mixer bowl and start mixing. Gradually add 2/3 or 3/4 cup of powdered sugar and the eggs, too. Mix until even.
- Add the red-colored cocoa mixture and mix some more. Set aside.
- Strain the flour into the dough mixer bowl. Add the baking soda, salt to taste, and the baking powder. Start mixing. Gradually add the buttermilk and the red-colored cream in the process.
- Transfer this batter to two buttered 6 or 7-inch diameter springform pans. Bake for 25 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.
- Transfer one of the two cakes (after cooling) on the work surface and cut off their domes. Then cut each cake horizontally in half. Crumble the trimmed domes and/or one of the cake halves and set them aside. You are left with 3 or 4 cake halves, depending on how much crumbles you made.
- Spread about 1/3 of the cream cheese mixture on one cake half. Top with the other cake halves while coating their tops and sides with the remaining frosting.
- Garnish the cake with red crumbles, strawberries, and raspberries. Serve cooled.