Can you make cannoli from chips? But of course! And you can fill those with a buttery nutmeg-flavored potato mash. In order to get the tubular shape of cannoli, you must cut a larger potato into thin slices. You’ll wrap them around aluminum foil cores and bake them for 20 minutes. And there is your perfect crispy-creamy potato cannoli.
Ingredients Needed for Potato Cannoli
4 medium potatoes, cubed
¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder
3 ounces of butter
4 tablespoons of milk
½ cup gruyère cheese
1 larger potato, thinly sliced (16 slices)
⅓ cup olive oil
How to Make Potato Cannoli
- Add the potatoes to a pot and cover them with water. Salt it and boil for 20 minutes.
- Transfer them to a bowl. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg, add the butter. Mash.
- Add the Gruyere cheese and, gradually, the milk. Mash some more.
- Shape 16 pieces of aluminum foil into 2 or 3-inch long rolls. Wrap each potato slice around an aluminum roll.
- Transfer the potato rolls to a baking tray. Drizzle each one with olive oil, then bake for 20 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C. You’ll end up with 16 potato chip cannoli.
- Remove the aluminum cores and discard them. Transfer the potato mixture to a piping bag and fill the potato cannoli with it.