Ingredients Needed for Potato and Spring Onion Gratin
½ teaspoon butter
spring onion, thin slices
2 ounces of low-moist mozzarella, shredded
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of flour
1 ½ cups of milk
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon nutmeg
How to Cook Potato and Spring Onion Gratin
- Start with the bechamel sauce.
- Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat and start melting the butter. Add the flour and stir until smooth.
- Cook the mixture on medium heat for about 6-7 minutes, until it has a light, golden color.
- Separately, heat the milk in a pan, until just about to boil. Slowly pour the hot milk into the butter mixture, whisking continuously until the mixture is very smooth, with no lumps.
- Cook for 10 more minutes, while constantly stirring, and then remove from the heat.
- Season the sauce with salt and nutmeg and leave it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 340 degrees F/170 degrees C.
- Peel and slice the potatoes as thin as you can, then put them in cold water. Soaking cut potatoes in cold water before cooking will help to remove some of the starch.
- Grease a baking dish with butter (about 4 inches/10 cm diameter).
- Lay in it a layer of potato slices, sprinkle salt and pepper; add spring onion and bechamel sauce.
- Continue layering the potatoes, add a pinch of salt and pepper, spring onion, and bechamel, until you finish your ingredients.
- Top the casserole with shredded low-moist mozzarella.
- Bake for 20 minutes then test the potatoes. If needed, bake more.