Ingredients Needed for Portokalopita
14 ounces of phyllo sheet
2 ½ cups of sugar
2 cups of water
7 ounces of greek yogurt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup vegetable oil
How to Cook Portokalopita
- Shred the zest from one of the oranges.
- Slice the oranges in halves and squeeze the juice out of them.
- Break the phyllo pastry into small bits.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat, and add 1.5 cups of sugar in it. Add almost all of the orange zest (keep 2 teaspoons for later).
- Give it a stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Next, add the greek yogurt in a large bowl and mix it with the remaining sugar. Add baking soda, vanilla extract, remaining orange zest, and orange juice. Stir with a spatula.
- Pour the vegetable oil and use your mixer to incorporate it into the mixture.
- Pour the obtained mixture over the phyllo pastry and mix it well in order to be absorbed.
- Pour the mixture in a 16 X 8 baking tray.
- Slide the tray into the oven for the next 45 minutes at 360 degrees F/180 degrees C.
- Pour the sugar syrup over the cake and let it rest for an hour before serving.