One of the most famous Greek desserts crossed the Ocean and arrived on our website to bring joy to all of you. It’s a mixture of phyllo, sugar, and yogurt flavored with orange juice and zest. It may take around 90 minutes to cook it, but we guarantee it is worth your while.
Ingredients Needed for Portokalopita
14 ounces of phyllo sheet
2 ½ cups of sugar
2 cups of water
7 ounces of greek yogurt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup vegetable oil
How to Make Portokalopita
- Shred the zest from one of the oranges.
- Slice the oranges in halves and squeeze the juice out of them.
- Break the phyllo pastry into small bits.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat, and add 1.5 cups of sugar in it. Add almost all of the orange zest (keep 2 teaspoons for later).
- Give it a stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Next, add the greek yogurt in a large bowl and mix it with the remaining sugar. Add baking soda, vanilla extract, remaining orange zest, and orange juice. Stir with a spatula.
- Pour the vegetable oil and use your mixer to incorporate it into the mixture.
- Pour the obtained mixture over the phyllo pastry and mix it well in order to be absorbed.
- Pour the mixture in a 16 X 8 baking tray.
- Slide the tray into the oven for the next 45 minutes at 360 degrees F/180 degrees C.
- Pour the sugar syrup over the cake and let it rest for an hour before serving.