Ingredients Needed for Pork Souvlaki With Pita and Tzatziki
For the dough:
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup warm water
3 tablespoons of olive oil
For the souvlaki:
14 ounces of pork tenderloin, cut into 8-10 pieces
1 red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
½ cup white wine
1 tablespoon lime juice
¼ cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 ounces of cherry tomatoes
For the tzatziki:
1 cup greek yogurt
1 medium cucumber, shredded and squeezed
2 fresh mint leaves
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 tablespoons of olive oil
cherry tomato, for serving
How to Cook Pork Souvlaki With Pita and Tzatziki
- For the dough:
Add the flour, dry yeast, baking powder, and olive oil to a bowl, season with salt and start mixing using a fork. While mixing, gradually add warm water until you make a soft dough. Then use the hands to knead it. If necessary, add more flour. Let the dough rise for 30 minutes.
- Marinate the souvlaki:
Place the tenderloin pieces into a baking dish, then add the red onion, rosemary, white wine, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, and white wine vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix to coat the meat with marinade. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- When the time is up, prepare the skewers. Alternately skewer the meat and onion pieces. We’ve used two skewers for this, but you can use four. Drizzle the grill with the vegetable oil and place the skewers on it. Grill them on all sides.
- For the tzatziki:
Add the Greek yogurt, cucumber, fresh mint, garlic, and olive oil to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix.
- Dust the work surface with some flour. Place the dough on it and divide it in quarters. We’ll use just two, keep the other two refrigerated for later use.
- Flatten one piece of dough using a rolling pin. Do this until it gets very thin. Cut it into halves and place it in a skillet over low heat. Cook it on both sides until it starts changing color and brown spots appear. Do the same with the other piece of dough.
- Wrap each souvlaki with a pita, remove the wooden skewer, add some tzatziki and cherry tomatoes, and serve.