Ingredients Needed for Poppy Seed and Walnut Cake
½ cup rice flour
⅓ cup walnuts, crushed
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
1 ¼ cups of sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
5 egg whites
1 ½ cups of milk
2 tablespoons of cornstarch
¼ cup sugar
1 cup poppy seeds
2 tablespoons of oat bran
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to Cook Poppy Seed and Walnut Cake
- Add the rice flour, walnuts, cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and baking powder to a bowl. Shortly whisk until even. Set aside.
- Add the egg whites and a pinch of salt to a bowl and start whisking using a hand mixer. Add about 1 cup of sugar and the yolks in the process.
- Add the walnut-flour mixture and mix until even this time using a spatula.
- Line an 8-inch square cake pan with parchment paper. Transfer the mixture to it and evenly spread it. Bake for 20 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.
- Add 1 cup of milk in a pot over low heat. Shortly mix the remaining sugar with the cornstarch and the remaining milk in a small bowl, then add it to the pot, too.
- Whisk for a while, then simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the poppy seeds, oat bran, and vanilla extract to the same pot. Whisk until even.
- Remove the cocoa-walnut dough from the oven and let it cool. Horizontally cut it in half. Evenly spread the poppy seed mixture on the lower half and top with the upper one. Refrigerate for 60 minutes.
- Cut the cake into bars or any other forms you’d like. Optionally, serve them topped with whipped cream and raspberry jam.