Ingredients Needed for Pho (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)
3 beef bones
12 cups of water
1 small white radish, sliced
½ jalapeno, sliced
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cardamom
0.5 cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon ginger, sliced
3 star anise
3 lemongrass stalks, smashed
1 lime, quartered
3 onions, roasted
1 cup cooked rice noodles
⅓ cup canned soy sprouts
1 spring onion, chopped (for serving)
⅔ cup beef tenderloin, thinly sliced
fresh coriander for serving
1 lemon wedged (for serving)
How to Cook Pho (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)
- Fill a cooking pot with water and heat it. Add the beef bones, cover with the lid and boil for 4 hours over low heat.
- Add the white radish, jalapeno, coriander seeds, cardamom, cinnamon stick, ginger, a few cloves, the star anise, lemongrass, and lime wedges.
- Season with salt, stir in, add the roasted onion, cover with the lid and boil for 60 minutes.
- Remove the beef bones and strain the liquid into a new pot. Set aside.
- Serve the soup by adding 1/2 cup of noodles, 1/2 of all the soy sprouts, chopped spring onion, and sliced beef tenderloin to a soup plate.
- Pour 3-4 ladles of flavored beef stock over them. Garnish with some fresh coriander and 2 lemon wedges.
- Follow the last 2 steps for the remaining ingredients. You will be left with some beef stock, which you should keep for later use.