Ingredients Needed for Pear Upside Down Cake
¾ cup flour
2 tablespoons of cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
3 tablespoons of butter
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup milk
2 pears, thinly sliced
How to Cook Pear Upside Down Cake
- Sift the flour through a strainer and add it in a large bowl.
- Add the cornmeal, baking powder, salt and mix with a whisk.
- Add the egg whites in a separate bowl and mix them until they have stiff peaks.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter in a large bowl and mix it with 1/2 cup of sugar. When the sugar is absorbed, add the egg yolks, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix until all the ingredients combine.
- Keep the mixer running and add the egg whites. Mix until you obtain a smooth mixture.
- Slowly add the flour mixture 1 tablespoon at a time, while mixing with a spatula. Mix until the dry mixture is incorporated.
- Next, heat a skillet over medium heat, add the remaining sugar and melt it.
- Add a drop of water and when bubbles start appearing on the surface, reduce the heat to low. Add the remaining butter and stir vigorously using a wooden spatula. Leave it on heat until it caramelizes.
- Add the caramel on the bottom of a round baking dish, approximately 10 inches (25 cm) in diameter.
- Add the pear slices on the bottom in a snail pattern. Top it with the dough mixture.
- Slide the dish into the oven for the next 60 minutes at 350 degrees F/175 degrees C.