Calories: 763 kCal / serving
- 52 g
- 57 g
- 12 g
Ingredients Needed for Pan-Fried Smoked Trout With Brussels Sprouts and Creamy Sauce
2 gutted trouts 1 pound each
8 ounces of Brussels sprouts, halved
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 ounces of butter
1 fresh rosemary sprig
1 garlic head
2 tablespoons of lime juice
¼ cup heavy cream
How to Make Pan-Fried Smoked Trout With Brussels Sprouts and Creamy Sauce
- Place a trout on the work surface. Make a deep cut just behind the gills. Horizontally cut off one side of the fish trying to avoid the backbone. Flip the fish and do the same for the other side. Remove the rib cage and any other bones and cut off the bony edges.
- Follow the same step with the other trout. You’ll be left with 4 fillets 4 or 5-ounce each.
- Place the fillets into a roomy baking pot. Make room for a metal cup where you’ll add the sawdust.
- Season the fillets with salt, light up the sawdust using a blowtorch, and cover the pot with the lid. Smoke for 5 minutes.
- Fill a cooking pot halfway with water and bring it to a boil. Add the halved Brussels sprouts to a spider strainer and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the sprouts to a bowl with iced water to blanch them.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over low heat. Add the blanched Brussels sprouts.
- Season with salt and pepper, add 1 tablespoon of butter and saute for 30 seconds. Fry for 3 minutes more. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over low heat. Season with salt, add the rosemary sprig and garlic head.
- Add the fillets with the skin side down and fry for 4 minutes. Flip and fry for up to 2 minutes more. Set aside.
- Heat a smaller saucepan over low heat. Add the heavy cream and the remaining butter (some 3 tablespoons).
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of lime juice. Simmer for 4 – 5 minutes while continuously whisking.
- Serve the trout and the Brussels sprouts covered with creamy sauce.