Ingredients Needed for Onion Soup
2 tablespoons of butter
½ tablespoon brown sugar
3 medium onions, sliced
⅓ cup white wine
8 cups of beef stock
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
5 fresh thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
8 roasted bread slices
1 cup Gruyère, grated
¼ cup parmesan, grated
How to Cook Onion Soup
- Start melting the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the brown sugar and stir.
- As the sugar caramelizes add the onion. Continuously stir and fry for 10 minutes. Add the white wine and stir it in.
- Add the beef stock and Worcestershire sauce, season with pepper and throw in the thyme sprig with the bay leaves. Stir in and bring to a boil.
- Cover with the lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and discard the bay and thyme.
- Transfer the cooked onion mixture to 4 oven-proof serving bowls.
- Top each one with 2 slices of roasted bread, Gruyere cheese, parmesan, and 1 thyme sprig. Bake for 5 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.