Ingredients Needed for Nile Perch Pie
1 ounce butter
1 onion, chopped
½ cup flour
¾ cup milk
3.5 ounces of smoked nile perch fillet
10 ounces of nile perch fillet, cubed
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
For the mashed potatoes:
1 tablespoon butter
¼ cup milk
How to Cook Nile Perch Pie
- First, make the mashed potatoes. Fill a cooking pot halfway with water and heat it over low-medium heat.
- Add the potatoes and the salt. Boil them for 15-20 minutes until fork tender, maybe just a little more to have them extra-tender.
- Add them to a bowl, add the butter, salt, and the milk and mash them together using a masher until creamy. Set the mashed potatoes aside.
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the onion and cook it until it softens.
- Add the flour and stir. Add the milk gradually, stir, and cook on low heat until you make a sauce.
- Add the smoked Nile perch and stir. Cook on low heat.
- Heat the vegetable oil in another skillet and add the Nile perch cubes to fry them. Drizzle some lemon juice, then season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook a few minutes.
- Add the cooked Nile perch cubes into the white sauce and combine them. Transfer the mixture to a ceramic baking pan. Top the mixture with the mashed potatoes and level them.
- Bake the dish for 30 minutes at 360˚F/180˚C.