Ingredients Needed for Mushroom and Beef Lasagna Casserole
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 medium onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 medium carrot, diced
¾ cup canned tomatoes
8 ounces of mushrooms, chopped
1 pound ground beef
½ cup red wine
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
⅓ cup tomato sauce
2 teaspoons of mixed herbs
1 ounce butter
⅔ cup flour
1 cup milk
⅔ cup parmesan, grated
4 ounces of baby spinach
3 ounces of cooked lasagna sheets (4 sheets)
⅓ cup gruyère cheese, grated
How to Cook Mushroom and Beef Lasagna Casserole
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a skillet over low heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook and stir until softened.
- Add the carrot and canned tomatoes. Stir them in. Add the mushrooms. Cook and stir for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil to a pan over medium heat. Add the ground beef and break it into smaller pieces.
- Cook until browned while occasionally stirring. Season with salt and pepper, add the red wine and stir them in.
- Add the cooked vegetable mixture and stir it in. Do the same with the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato sauce. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Season with mixed herbs, stir a little and remove from heat.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the flour and start whisking. Gradually add the milk while continuously whisking. Season with pepper.
- Add the parmesan, stir it in, then simmer for 10 minutes. Set this batter aside.
- Layer 2 ounces of baby spinach in an 8 x 4 x 1.5 inches (20 x 10 x 4 cm) baking dish. Add 1/2 of the ground beef mixture and evenly spread it, then add 2 lasagna sheets.
- Pour 1/2 of the batter over the lasagna, then layer the remaining 2 ounces of baby spinach over it. Layer the remaining ground beef, lay the other 2 lasagna sheets over it and pour over the remaining batter.
- Top with Gruyere cheese and bake for 50 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.