Ingredients Needed for Mashed Potato Cakes
For the cakes:
1 red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 garlic cloves, chopped
½ cup parmesan
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For the coating mixture:
½ cup breadcrumbs
½ cup cornmeal
How to Cook Mashed Potato Cakes
- First heat a saucepan over medium heat, and fill about half of it with water. Bring it to a boil and add in the peeled potatoes. Cook them for 15-20 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Mash them when they’re ready. Add the mashed potatoes in a large bowl. Add the red onion, parsley, flour, and breadcrumbs. Season with turmeric, cayenne pepper, and salt. Add the garlic and parmesan.
- Separately, mix the flour and cornmeal in a plate.
- Shape the potato mixture into round balls, around 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter. Flatten them with your hand, making them look like patties. They should be around 0.4 inch (1 cm) thick.
- Coat all of them, one by one, with the flour and cornmeal mixture.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties for 2-3 minutes, until golden.
- You can serve the mashed potato cakes with yogurt and fresh vegetables.