Lentil and Kale Stew
Use protein-rich green lentils and cashews for this comforting and warming vegan stew. While soaking the cashews in water will need about 2 hours, you’ll prepare this one-pot stew in just 40 minutes, so be prepared in advance with the cashews. Flavor this combo with thyme, cumin, and turmeric.
Ingredients Needed for Lentil and Kale Stew
¼ cup cashews
½ cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon cumin powder
2 teaspoons of turmeric
1 medium carrot, sliced
2 medium celery sticks, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, peeled
½ cup green lentils
4 cups of vegetable stock
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
4 ounces of kale, chopped
How to Make Lentil and Kale Stew
- Add the cashews and water to a smaller bowl and let them soak for 2 hours.
- Transfer them to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Heat the olive oil in a cooking pot over low heat and add the onion. Cook and stir until tender.
- Add the garlic, season with thyme, cumin, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Stir all in.
- Add the carrot, celery, and tomatoes. Stir them in. Add the lentils. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable stock and balsamic vinegar. Stir in, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the cashew blend and stir it in. Do the same for the chopped kale. Remove from heat and serve warm.