Ingredients Needed for Lemon Phyllo Cake Topped With Greek Yogurt
For the cake:
8 phyllo sheets
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup greek yogurt
½ tablespoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon butter
For the syrup:
1 cinnamon stick
2 tablespoons of lemon zest
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
greek yogurt for serving
lemon zest for garnishing
fresh mint for garnishing
How to Cook Lemon Phyllo Cake Topped With Greek Yogurt
- For the cake:
Fill a 13 x 9 x 2 inch (33 x 23 x 5 cm) baking dish with phyllo sheets. Bake for 30 minutes at 340⁰F/170⁰C.
- Remove from oven. Crush the baked phyllo using the hands. Set aside.
- Add the eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, Greek yogurt, and baking powder to a bowl. Whisk until even.
- Add the sugar and whisk until smooth. Add the crumbled phyllo and mix.
- Coat the interior of a 13 x 9 x 2 inch (33 x 23 x 5 cm) baking dish with the butter. Add the crumbled phyllo mixture, spread it evenly, then let it sit for 30 minutes.
- For the syrup:
Add some lemon zest and lemon juice into the pot where you have the water-sugar-cinnamon mixture. Mix.
- Pour the syrup over the phyllo casserole using a ladle. Press gently and wait until it is absorbed. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Portion and serve with yogurt. Optionally, you can garnish with lemon zest and mint.