Ingredients Needed for Lamb Rice Stuffed Onions With Coriander Tomato Sauce
For the mince mixture:
1 ½ pounds of lamb mince
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon chili flakes
2 garlic cloves, diced
½ cup cooked rice
3 large onions
For the tomato sauce:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 large onion, diced
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
½ cup tomato sauce
1 cup chicken stock
3 tablespoons of fresh coriander, chopped
1 red onion for serving
How to Cook Lamb Rice Stuffed Onions With Coriander Tomato Sauce
- For the mince mixture:
Add the lamb mince to a saucepan over medium heat and break the meat into chunks. Season with salt and pepper, cumin powder and chili flakes, and add the garlic.
- Cook until browned while occasionally stirring. Add the cooked rice and stir for up to 2 minutes more.
- Assemble the stuffed onions:
Make a vertical cut on each onion’s side. Separate the first 2-3 layers from each one and discard the rest.
- Fill them with the mince mixture. Set them aside.
- For the tomato mixture:
Add the olive oil and butter to a skillet over low heat. Add the onion. Cook and stir until tender.
- Add the tomato paste and stir it in. Add the tomato sauce and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper, add the fresh coriander and stir them in.
- Transfer the tomato sauce to a baking dish. Place the stuffed onions inside the dish, too. Cover them with tomato sauce. Bake for 20 minutes at 350⁰F/175⁰C.
- Serve garnished with some diced red onion.