Lahmajoun With Yogurt and Hot Mango Sauce
For this Turkish dish, we made, of course, our own dough. We topped it with hot mango sauce and minced meat which we mixed with cooked onion and bell pepper, and flavored with plenty of herbs and spices. Finally, we added a flavored yogurt mix for the perfect intersection of different textures, temperatures, and flavors.
Ingredients Needed for Lahmajoun With Yogurt and Hot Mango Sauce
For the dough:
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ cup milk
4 cups of flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups of water
For the onion-bell pepper mix:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
½ red bell pepper, chopped
Preparing the meat:
10 ounces of minced meat
1 tablespoon tomato sauce
1 teaspoon paprika powder
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
4 leaves fresh mint
5 tablespoons of spicy mango sauce
For the yogurt mix:
1 ¼ cups of yogurt
5 teaspoons of chili flakes
5 teaspoons of dried oregano
5 teaspoons of curry powder
fresh parsley (for garnishing)
How to Make Lahmajoun With Yogurt and Hot Mango Sauce
- For the dough:
Add the active dry yeast, sugar, and milk. Mix them.
- Strain the flour into the mixing bowl, add the salt, and active dry yeast mix. Start mixing until you have a dough. Also, while mixing add the water. Set aside and let it rise for 30 minutes.
- For the onion-bell pepper mix:
Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over low heat.
- Add the onion and red bell pepper. Cook and stir until the onion is tender.
- Preparing the meat:
Add the minced meat, tomato sauce, paprika powder, curry powder, chili flakes, pepper, salt, mint and onion-bell pepper mix. Mix them.
- For the dough (again):
Spread flour on the work surface, knead the dough a bit and portion it into 5 lumps.
- Take each lump of dough, press it with the hand to flatten it, roll it out with a rolling pin, giving it an ovoid form. Spread a tablespoon of hot sauce with mango on each flattened dough piece.
- Make small patties from the minced-meat mix and place 4-5 on each flattened dough piece.
- Bake them for 25 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.
- For the yogurt mix:
Add the yogurt, chili flakes, dried oregano, curry powder and some pepper into a bowl and mix them.
- Serve each lahmajoun with some yogurt mix spread on it.