Barfi with cashews is yet another incredible sweet treat from India. You only need up to 15 minutes for assembling it. But hold your horses for 3 hours while it refrigerates. The base is fresh breadcrumbs soaked in milk. It’s dense, deliciously crunchy, and you can upgrade it by serving it drizzled with maple syrup and even more cashews.
Ingredients Needed for Kaaju Barfi
3 slices of crustless bread
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 cup coconut flakes
3.5 ounces of cashews, crumbled
1 tablespoon rose water
3.5 ounces of butter
vegetable oil for greasing the dish
maple syrup for serving
more crumbled cashews for garnishing
How to Make Kaaju Barfi
- Pulse the crustless bread slices in a food processor to make fresh breadcrumbs.
- Add the fresh breadcrumbs and milk to a bowl. Mix once or twice then let the breadcrumbs soak for a few minutes.
- Add the sugar and coconut flakes to a saucepan over low heat. Stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the crumbled cashews and rose water. Stir for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add the soaked breadcrumbs and the butter. Cook and stir until it melts.
- Grease with vegetable oil a square dish. Transfer the cashew mixture to it, gently press it to spread it evenly, then refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Serve drizzled with maple syrup and sprinkled with crumbled cashews.