For the dough:
2 cups of flour
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup warm water
⅔ cup milk
0.25 ounce active dry yeast
For the loukoumades:
vegetable oil for frying
½ cup honey for serving
¼ cup walnuts, crumbled (for serving)
1 tablespoon cinnamon powder for serving
- For the dough: Add most of the flour (3/4), some salt, the sugar, vegetable oil, olive oil, half of the warm water, and the milk to a bowl. Start mixing using a spatula.
- Mix the remaining warm water with the yeast and add it to the mixture, too. Add the remaining flour and continue to mix until you have an even dough. Cover the bowl with a towel and let it rise for 30 minutes.
- For the loukoumades: Fill the saucepan or deep fryer halfway with vegetable oil and heat it over medium heat.
- Form the dough into balls (some 1-2 tablespoons of dough per ball) using a scoop and deep-fry them until golden brown or for 3 minutes or so. You'll need to cook them in batches (we've got 24 of them and cooked them in 4 batches)
- Serve them on a tray, covered with honey and sprinkled to taste with crumbled walnuts and cinnamon powder.