Ingredients Needed for Homemade Empanadas
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 red onion
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 pound ground beef
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup canned tomatoes
2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 ounces of butter
1 egg, whisked
How to Cook Homemade Empanadas
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, the red onion and cook them until softened.
- Add the ground beef and cook it until browned.
- Season it with jalapeno, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the canned tomatoes and add the parsley. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Sift the flour through a strainer in a large bowl. Add salt, baking powder, and butter.
- Add around 1/4 cup of cold water and mix with your hands to create a smooth, homogenous dough.
- Dust your working space with flour and level the dough with a rolling pin.
- Use a bowl and knife and make round shapes of dough, around 4 inches (10 cm) in diameter.
- Add 2 tablespoons of meat mixture over each round dough. Start from one of the ends and pull over the opposite end, covering the filling.
- Pinch the sides with a fork.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper. Lay the empanadas over it. Brush them with eggwash.
- Slide the tray into the oven for the next 40 minutes at 400 degrees F/200 degrees C.