Can anything compare to the smell of freshly baked bread? The crispy crust, the fluffy interior? When it comes to bread, baguettes are lovely for sandwiches and for bruschetta! So how about making your own? It’s quite simple to make! And then pair it with your favorite deli meats, cheeses and veggies. Or bruschetta toppings!
Ingredients Needed for Homemade Baguettes
For the baguettes:
1 ½ cups of warm water
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
4 cups of flour
1 egg, whisked
1 tablespoon cream cheese
2 lettuces leaves
2 prosciuttos slices
2 tomatoes slices
3 yellow bell peppers
How to Make Homemade Baguettes
- Add the warm water and the dry yeast in a large bowl. Mix with a spatula until it dissolves into the water.
- Add 1 cup flour, and keep whisking until it’s incorporated into the wet mixture. By now, the mixture should have a milky consistency. Cover the bowl with a towel and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining flour and stir with a spatula to incorporate it into the mixture. You should get a sticky dough.
- Knead it for 4-5 minutes, until firm, smooth, and elastic.
- Again, move it in the bowl, cover it with a towel and let it rise for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 440°F/220°C.
- Take out the dough and divide it in 2 equal parts.
- Grab each part and level it with a rolling pin until they’re 12 inches (30 cm) long, and 3 inches (7.5 cm) wide.
- Start rolling them from one of the ends, until you’ve reached the opposite end.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place the dough on top.
- Slide the tray into the oven for the next 20 minutes.
- You can make lots of sandwich recipes with them, here is an example down below:
- Slide the baguette through the middle.
- Spread cream cheese on the bottom side.
- Top it with lettuce, prosciutto, tomato, bell pepper, and a touch of chopped parsley.