Ingredients Needed for Heart-Shaped Cherry Cookies
For the dough: 1 pound flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 ounces of butter
¼ cup of sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup milk For the filling: 1 pound frozen cherries
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of cornstarch
1 egg white
How to Cook Heart-Shaped Cherry Cookies
- Add the flour in a large bowl.
Add the baking powder, salt, and butter. Start mixing using the tip of your fingers until butter is absorbed and the dough has the aspect of crumbles.
- Add the sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix until you obtain a smooth, firm, and elastic dough. Refrigerate it for the next 30 minutes.
- For the cherry jam, heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add the frozen cherries, water, lemon juice, and sugar. Mix and bring to a boil. Mix the cornstarch with water in a small bowl. Stir, and keep it on heat until it thickens.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Dust your working space with flour, take out the dough, and divide it into 4 equal parts.
- Grab one of the quarters and level it with a rolling pin. Using a 2 inches (5 cm) heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 6 hearts from the dough. Using a 1 inch (2.5 cm) heart-shaped cooking cutter, cut out a small heart-shaped opening in the middle of one of the pie crust hearts. This piece will be the top crust. Repeat the steps until you have used up all of your dough.
- Brush the bottom sides with egg white. Top with a teaspoon of cherry jam, and finish it with the top crust. Pinch the sides with a fork and brush with egg wash.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and top it with the cherry jam cookies. Slide the tray into the oven for the next 25 minutes.