Ingredients Needed for Fried Mackerel in Hot and Spicy Sauce
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon turmeric
14 ounces of mackerel, cut into steaks
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon ginger, shredded
1 red chili, sliced
1 teaspoon curry paste
¼ cup canned tomatoes
¼ cup coconut milk
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 cup cooked rice (optional)
How to Cook Fried Mackerel in Hot and Spicy Sauce
- Add the salt and turmeric to a smaller bowl and mix them. Disperse this mixture into a tray and coat the mackerel pieces with it.
- Heat 1 cup of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat, then fry the mackerel pieces on both sides until golden brown and crispy looking. Set aside.
- Add the mustard seeds to a skillet over low heat, cover with lid, and cook until they start snapping.
- At this point, you can add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and the onion. Cook it until tender, then, while cooking and stirring, add the garlic, ginger, red chili, curry paste, canned tomatoes, coconut milk, water, salt, and garam masala. Cover with lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the mackerel and cook a little more.
- Serve it with rice or your favorite side dish.