Ingredients Needed for Fried Eggplant With Tomato Sauce
For the breadcrumb-cheese mixture:
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 cup parmesan, grated
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
For the egg wash:
2 tablespoons of milk
For frying the eggplant:
1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced
1 cup flour
For the flavored tomato sauce:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 cups of tomato sauce
1 tablespoon dried basil
¼ cup fresh parsley
1 tablespoon honey
cup fresh parsley for garnishing
1 cup low moisture mozzarella, grated for garnishing
How to Cook Fried Eggplant With Tomato Sauce
- For the breadcrumb-cheese mixture:
Add the breadcrumbs, parmesan, salt, and pepper to a bowl and mix them. Set aside.
- For the egg wash:
Add the eggs and milk to a smaller bowl and mix them.
- For frying the eggplant:
Add the flour to a bowl, and coat the eggplant slices with it, then with egg wash, and finally with the breadcrumb-cheese mixture.
- Heat 1 cup of vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, then fry the coated eggplant slices on both sides until golden brown. We fried them in two batches of four-five slices each.
- For the flavored tomato sauce:
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over low heat, add the garlic, tomato sauce, dried basil, fresh parsley, and honey, season with salt and pepper, and stir. Cook for some 5 minutes.
- Assembling the casserole:
Alternatively, layer the thick tomato sauce with the two batches of eggplant slices. Start with the sauce. Sprinkle fresh parsley and grated mozzarella between the layers.
- Finally, add the remaining sauce and top everything with fresh parsley and low moisture mozzarella. Bake for 20 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.