Ingredients Needed for Fennel Pork Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
1 pound pork mince
2 tablespoons of fennel seeds
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 ½ cups of canned tomatoes
2 ounces of arugula
1 lemon, cut into wedges
2 tablespoons of roasted pine nut
How to Cook Fennel Pork Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
- Combine the pork mince with fennel seeds, lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Grease your hands with olive oil and shape small meatballs.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F/175˚C.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in an ovenproof skillet and fry the pork meatballs for 2-3 minutes on each side, until browned. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in another skillet and add the onion. Cook the onion for 1 minute, stirring often, then add the garlic. Cook further until the onion softens a little.
- Add the canned tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and bring the tomato sauce to a simmer. Simmer for 1-12 minutes.
Meanwhile, take the meatballs out of the oven.
- Add the arugula and the cooked meatballs, stir and cook them together for 5-7 minutes.
- Before turning off the heat, add lemon wedges and roasted pine nuts.