Ingredients Needed for Fakhid Maa Riz
3 pounds of lamb shoulder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cinnamon sticks
3 bay leaves
3 cardamom seeds
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon seven spice
1 teaspoon paprika
3 cups of water
⅓ cup honey
For the rice:
2 teaspoons of butter
1 cup rice
2 ounces of almonds, sliced
pine nuts, optional
How to Make Fakhid Maa Riz
- Preheat the oven to 330 degrees F/165 degrees C.
- Add the lamb shoulder in your baking dish.
- Season it with salt, cinnamon, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, cardamom seeds, nutmeg, seven spices, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Pour water, covering a bit over half of the lamb. Add the honey over the meat.
- Slide the dish into the oven and roast the lamb for the next 3 hours.
- For the rice, heat a skillet over medium heat, add the butter in it and melt it.
- Add the rice and stir to coat it with melted butter. Also, add the almonds. Stir again and pour about 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) of water. Give it a good stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cook until the rice absorbs the water. Season with salt and pepper and give it a good stir.
- Serve the lamb on top of the rice side. You can sprinkle some pine nuts on top.