Ingredients Needed for Egyptian Khalta Rice With Beef
1 ½ cups of rice
3 cups of water
1 pound beef tenderloin, thinly sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup hot water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 rosemary sprig
½ cup hazelnuts
¼ cup red raisins
¼ cup golden raisins
How to Cook Egyptian Khalta Rice With Beef
- Add the rice in a large bowl and cover it with hot water. Season with salt and let it soak for 10 minutes.
- Add the beef tenderloin and chopped onion in a large bowl. Season with salt, pepper, chili flakes, and mix. Add vinegar and cover the bowl with plastic foil.
- Let the beef marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the brown sugar, and stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar melts.
- Pour the how water, season with salt, and add cinnamon. Bring to a boil.
- Pass the soaked rice through a strainer under cold water.
- Next, add the rice on the stove over the wet mixture. Season with pepper and give it a good stir.
- Add a lid on top and cook for 10 minutes.
- Next, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the rosemary sprig and the marinated beef.
- Cook the beef until well browned.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the hazelnuts and toast them for 1 minute. Add the colored raisins, stir for about 1 minute and remove from the heat.
- Mix the rice with the hazelnuts and raisins. Serve it with the beef.