Ingredients Needed for Eggplant Schnitzel Casserole
For the schnitzels:
7 ounces of chicken breast
½ cup flour
½ cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons of milk
For the eggplant:
½ eggplant, thickly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
For the casserole:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup tomato sauce
3 ounces of mozzarella, sliced
How to Cook Eggplant Schnitzel Casserole
- For the schnitzels:
Place the chicken breast on the work surface, hold it flat, and slice it horizontally into 3 approximately equal pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper on both sides, then cover each piece with a plastic wrap and tenderize it using a mallet.
- Add the eggs and milk into a smaller bowl and whisk. Transfer the egg wash onto a smaller tray plate.
- Add the flour and breadcrumbs each into smaller tray plates. Cover the tenderized meat pieces with flour, egg wash, and breadcrumbs.
- Fill a 9-inch (24 cm) skillet halfway with vegetable oil and heat it over medium heat. Fry each chicken piece until golden brown, or for 8 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- For the eggplant:
Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over low heat, add the eggplant slices, season with salt and pepper, drizzle with the olive oil, and cook them on both sides until golden brown. Set aside.
- For the casserole:
Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over low heat, then add the onion and garlic. Stir and cook until the onion starts to soften, then add the tomato sauce, season with salt and pepper, and stir for 30 seconds or so. Cook until the mixture starts bubbling.
- Transfer it to a 10 x 5 x 2 inch (25 x 13 x 5 cm) baking dish. Place the fried chicken pieces, eggplant, and mozzarella slices, alternatively and in an overlapping manner in there. Bake for 15 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.
- Garnish with basil and sage.