Egg and Sweet Potato Bake
Look no further if you want to put those sweet potatoes to good use! Peel your potatoes, hard-boil a few eggs and patch them together in a baking dish with lots of bechamel sauce, spring onion and parmesan. Sweet potatoes are taken to the next level!
Ingredients Needed for Egg and Sweet Potato Bake
½ teaspoon butter
3 spring onions
0.5 ounce - parmesan
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of flour
1 ½ cups of milk
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon nutmeg
2 ounces of parmesan, grated
How to Make Egg and Sweet Potato Bake
- Peel the sweet potato and cut it into thin slices.
- Put the sweet potato slices in cold water for 15 minutes. Cold water draws the excess starch out of the sweet potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 390 degrees F/200 degrees C.
- Meanwhile, make the bechamel sauce.
- Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat and start melting the butter. Add the flour and stir until smooth.
- Cook the mixture on medium heat for about 6-7 minutes, until it has a light, golden color.
- Separately, heat the milk in a pan, until just about to boil. Slowly add the hot milk to the butter mixture, whisking continuously until the mixture is very smooth, with no lumps.
- Cook for 10 more minutes, while constantly stirring, and then remove from the heat.
- Season the sauce with salt and nutmeg and leave it aside.
- Slice the hard-boiled eggs.
- Pat dry the sweet potato slices.
- Grease a baking dish (about 4 inches/10 cm diameter) with butter.
- Add a layer of sweet potatoes, salt, pepper, egg slices, and bechamel sauce.
- Continue with layers of sweet potatoes, salt, pepper, egg slices, and bechamel sauce, until you finish all of your ingredients.
- Grate the parmesan and top with 3 egg slices, then add a pinch of pepper.
- Bake for 25 minutes.