Ingredients Needed for Deep-Fried Corn Balls
¾ cup flour
½ cup cornmeal
1 large onion, shredded
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, whisked
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
vegetable oil (for frying)
How to Cook Deep-Fried Corn Balls
- Add the flour and cornmeal in a medium-sized bowl. Shred the onion and remove the excess water by pressing it with a paper towel.
- Add the onion, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk, whisked egg, jalapeno, and mix with a fork to combine the ingredients.
- Cover the bowl with plastic foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Rub your hands with oil and shape the mixture into 2 inches (5 cm) thick balls. Continue until you’ve used the mixture.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok over high heat. Add the balls and fry them until golden. Remove them from the oil with a slotted spatula.
- You can serve the corn balls with your favorite dips!