Deep-Fried Corn Balls
Can’t find the perfect starter for your late summer party? We highly recommend some homemade corn balls. You can easily make them in under one hour, so they work great if you’re in a hurry, plus you don’t need to use that many ingredients. You can next serve them with your favorite Mexican dips – salsa and/or guacamole?
Ingredients Needed for Deep-Fried Corn Balls
¾ cup flour
½ cup cornmeal
1 large onion, shredded
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, whisked
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
vegetable oil (for frying)
How to Make Deep-Fried Corn Balls
- Add the flour and cornmeal in a medium-sized bowl. Shred the onion and remove the excess water by pressing it with a paper towel.
- Add the onion, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk, whisked egg, jalapeno, and mix with a fork to combine the ingredients.
- Cover the bowl with plastic foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Rub your hands with oil and shape the mixture into 2 inches (5 cm) thick balls. Continue until you’ve used the mixture.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok over high heat. Add the balls and fry them until golden. Remove them from the oil with a slotted spatula.
- You can serve the corn balls with your favorite dips!