Ingredients Needed for Cream Puffs
For the choux pastry:
1 cup milk
1 cup water
7 ounces of butter
1 ½ cups of flour
For the whipped cream:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup powdered sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder for serving
How to Cook Cream Puffs
- For the choux pastry:
Add the milk, water, and butter to a medium cooking pot. Cook and stir until butter has melted. Set aside.
- Incorporate all the flour by stirring rapidly with a spatula. Put the cooking pot back on the stove and heat on medium, stirring, until a thin film forms on the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat.
- Transfer to a bowl, season with a little salt, and mix to cool down the dough using a hand mixer.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix until smooth using a spatula. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the choux dough to a piping bag with a 0.3-inch 1cm) circular tip. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Holding the piping bag straight swirl and squeeze out batter until you make circular disks of batter (about 1 inch/3 cm in diameter). Twist slightly and pull up to finish, leaving a small point on top of a round mound of batter. Leave space between the batter mounds.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 380⁰F/190⁰C.
- For the whipped cream:
Add the whipping cream and vanilla extract to a bowl. Start whipping using a hand mixer. Gradually, add the powdered sugar in the process. Mix until your whipped cream makes stiff peaks.
- When the choux pastry is cooled, cut each one horizontally in halves. Transfer the whipped cream to a piping bag and use it to fill the choux.
- If you want, dust cocoa powder on top.