1 large eggplant
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, minced
1 cup boiled couscous
⅓ cup canned tomatoes, diced
1 ounce olives, pitted and sliced
- Place the eggplant on the work surface and cut it into four 1 – 1.5 inches thick slices. Discard both eggplant’s ends.
- Scoop up the pulp from each eggplant cylinder leaving a 1/4 of an inch thick wall and bottom. You’ll end up with 4 eggplant baskets. Save the scooped pulp, too.
- Transfer the pulp on the work surface and mince it using a knife. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over low heat and add the onion. Cook and stir until tender.
- Add the eggplant pulp. Cook and stir until softened.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the couscous. Stir them in.
- Add the canned diced tomatoes and olives. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Transfer the eggplant baskets to a roomy baking dish. Fill them with the couscous mixture, then bake for 30 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.