Don’t let yourself intimidated by this Swiss specialty’s name; it’s an easy 35-minute job. Crunchy on the outside and gooey on the inside. And don’t stop at the chicken; fill each Cordon Bleu with ham, too. Let this classic dish enchant you and your guests.
Ingredients Needed for Cordon Bleu
10 ounces of chicken breast (2 breasts)
1 ounce cheese (2 slices)
1 ounce ham (2 slices)
½ cup flour
2 whisked eggs
½ cup panko
How to Make Cordon Bleu
- Place one chicken breast on your chopping board and, with your hand flat on top of it, use a sharp knife to slice into one side of the breast, starting at the thicker end and ending at the thin point. Be careful not to cut all the way through to the other side.
- Open out the breast so that it resembles a butterfly. Cover with plastic wrap and tenderize it using a mallet. Make the same for the second chicken breast.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then add a slice of cheese and one of ham on each one. Roll them.
- Add the flour, whisked eggs, and panko each to a different plate. Cover the rolls with flour, whisked eggs, and finally, with panko.
- Fill a skillet halfway with vegetable oil and heat it over medium heat. Place the chicken rolls inside and fry them for 7 minutes on all sides until golden brown.