Ingredients Needed for Classic Eclairs
For the choux pastry:
½ cup milk
½ cup butter (4 ounces)
⅔ cup flour
For the filling:
2 cups of milk
1 vanilla beans
1½ cups of powdered sugar
⅔ cup flour
1 cup melted chocolate for the icing
¼ cup coconut flakes for garnishing
How to Cook Classic Eclairs
- For the choux dough:Add the milk and butter to a cooking pot over medium heat. Stir until the butter melts.
- Add the flour. Continuously stir until a creamy, slightly dry dough forms. Let it cool.
- Add the 4 eggs to a bowl and beat them until even using a hand mixer.
- Transfer the creamy dough to a bowl. Gradually add the beaten eggs while continuously mixing using a spatula. Mix until the yellow, creamy choux dough forms.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and transfer the choux dough to a piping bag. Pipe 4-inch lines of dough (we’ve got 8 of them), then bake for 30 minutes at 370⁰F/185⁰C.
- For the filling:Add the milk to a cooking pot over low heat. Cut a lengthwise incision on each vanilla bean, scrape the pulp, and add it to the milk pot. Toss in there the remaining beans, too, and season with salt. Heat the milk while continuously stirring. Set aside.
- Add the yolks and powdered sugar to a bowl. Mix them until you have a cream using a hand mixer. Add the flour and mix more.
- Gradually strain the cooked milk into the creamy mixture bowl, while continuously mixing.
- Transfer the mixture to a pot over low heat. Cook and stir until reduced and creamy. Let it cool, then transfer to a piping bag.
- Make an incision in the side or bottom of each pastry using the tip of a knife. Fill them with the cream, ice them with melted chocolate, and garnish them with coconut flakes.