Ingredients Needed for Chunky Beef and Mushroom Pie
1 ½ cups of flour
3.5 ounces of butter, at room temperature
10 ounces of beef tenderloin, cubed
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 onion, diced
1 dried bay leaf
½ carrot, diced
0.25 small celery, diced
7 ounces of mushroom, quartered
½ cup brown ale
¼ cup beef stock
¼ cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon milk
½ teaspoon butter
How to Cook Chunky Beef and Mushroom Pie
- Add 1 cup of flour to a large bowl. Add some salt, the butter, and knead the mixture until you make a firm dough. If necessary, add more flour. Shape a ball and refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes.
- Add the beef tenderloin cubes to another bowl. Season the meat with salt and pepper, then add about 1 tablespoon of flour and stir to coat the beef pieces with flour.
- Heat the vegetable oil into a skillet and start frying the beef cubes. Fry them about 2-3 minutes, while stirring. Remove the beef cubes and set them aside.
- Add the crushed garlic, onion, and olive oil to the same skillet. Cook until the onion starts to soften, then add the carrot, celery, bay leaf, thyme, and white mushrooms.
- Season with salt and pepper, stir and cook further until the veggies start to soften a little. Add the cooked beef cubes, the brown ale, and beef stock. Stir and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Stir, simmer for about 3-4 more minutes, remove the herbs, then set the mixture aside.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and cut it into 2 equal parts. Flour your workspace and roll out the dough using a rolling pin. You’ll make 2 sheets.
- Grease a square baking pan (8-inch/22 cm side) with butter. Place one dough sheet on the bottom and edges of the pan, add the filling, and top the pie with the second dough sheet. Press the edges with a fork, then cut off the excess dough.
- Whisk the egg yolk with milk to make some egg wash. Use it to coat the pie.
- Bake the pie in the oven for 35 minutes at 360˚F/180˚C.