Ingredients Needed for Chocolate and Vanilla Battenberg Cake
2½ cups of flour
12 ounces of butter
1 ½ cups of sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk
1.5 ounces of cocoa powder
3.5 ounces of raspberry jam
12 ounces of marzipan
How to Make Chocolate and Vanilla Battenberg Cake
- Grab your mixer bowl and add the flour, butter, sugar, eggs, baking powder, vanilla extract, and milk. Set your mixer at medium speed and mix until all the ingredients combine, and you obtain a smooth, creamy texture.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Divide the mixture in two separate bowls and add cocoa powder into one of them.
- Pour each mixture in a loaf tin, lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the sponge cakes for 30-40 minutes.
- Level off the top and sides of the cakes with a knife, shaping each one in a rectangle.
- Cut each cake in 2 halves lengthwise, so you get 2 long strips.
- Grab 2 strips, opposite colors, and glue them together with jam, placing them side by side.
- Gently place the remaining sponges on top and bottom, opposite colors on each, brushing all the edges with jam.
- Place the marzipan on your wooden board and level it with a rolling pin, making it as thin as possible.
- Dress the cake with the marzipan sheet, pressing and smoothing it so that it sticks to the sponge cake. Trim the sides of marzipan.
- When serving, trim the ends of the cake and carefully cut it in slices.