Chickpea and Rice Stew
This simple vegetarian dish sure has lots of things to offer. It’s rich in fiber and protein, so it is a good choice if you’re planning on holding a healthy diet. Don’t shy away though from the yogurt and harissa sauce, because it will give this hearty stew a welcomed spicy and fresh kick.
Ingredients Needed for Chickpea and Rice Stew
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon turmeric
5 ounces of basmati rice
10 ounces of canned chickpeas
2 cups of vegetable stock
1 teaspoon harissa paste
2 ounces of yogurt
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds
1 ½ cups of milk
How to Make Chickpea and Rice Stew
- Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the carrot, onion, and season them with salt and pepper.
- Add fresh parsley and stir. Cover the veggies with a lid and let them simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and season with turmeric. Add the basmati rice, lime juice, figs, chickpeas, and the vegetable stock.
- Put the lid back on and let everything simmer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the harissa with a bit of water and yogurt.
- Remove the lid and add the garlic and pumpkin seeds.
- Cook the stew for 5 more minutes and turn off the heat.
- Serve it with harissa sauce on top!