Ingredients Needed for Chicken in a Watermelon
1 whole chicken
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons of honey
1 medium watermelon
2 small onions, quartered
4 fresh rosemary sprigs
How to Cook Chicken in a Watermelon
- Place the chicken on the work surface, butterfly it and cut it up.
- Season and coat with chili flakes, oregano, turmeric, Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add 1/4 of vegetable oil to a skillet over medium heat and add the chicken parts. Fry for 5 minutes on each side. Drizzle with honey and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Place the watermelon on the work surface and cut its cap off (don’t discard it). Scoop out 1/3 of the pulp to make some room, then mash the remaining pulp using a hand mixer. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Transfer the fried chicken parts into the watermelon shell. Insert onion and rosemary between them.
- Cover with the cap and fasten it with toothpicks. Place the stuffed watermelon on a roomy baking dish and bake for 2 hours at 380⁰F/190⁰C.
- Strain the smashed watermelon pulp into a pitcher using a strainer and a rubber spatula. Discard the seeds and the resulting pulp.
- Serve the chicken with a proper side-dish, like mashed potatoes and sweet corn, or a salad. Serve together with iced watermelon juice.