Chicken in a Watermelon
These chicken parts borrow the watermelon flavor which, together with those of rosemary and onion make them both refreshing and savory. Also, the watermelon shell acts like an oven bag keeping all the flavors inside and helping them mingle. Use the remaining pulp and integrate it into the dish by mashing it and serving the chicken with a glass of iced watermelon juice.
Ingredients Needed for Chicken in a Watermelon
1 whole chicken
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons of honey
1 medium watermelon
2 small onions, quartered
4 fresh rosemary sprigs
How to Make Chicken in a Watermelon
- Place the chicken on the work surface, butterfly it and cut it up.
- Season and coat with chili flakes, oregano, turmeric, Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add 1/4 of vegetable oil to a skillet over medium heat and add the chicken parts. Fry for 5 minutes on each side. Drizzle with honey and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Place the watermelon on the work surface and cut its cap off (don’t discard it). Scoop out 1/3 of the pulp to make some room, then mash the remaining pulp using a hand mixer. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Transfer the fried chicken parts into the watermelon shell. Insert onion and rosemary between them.
- Cover with the cap and fasten it with toothpicks. Place the stuffed watermelon on a roomy baking dish and bake for 2 hours at 380⁰F/190⁰C.
- Strain the smashed watermelon pulp into a pitcher using a strainer and a rubber spatula. Discard the seeds and the resulting pulp.
- Serve the chicken with a proper side-dish, like mashed potatoes and sweet corn, or a salad. Serve together with iced watermelon juice.