Ingredients Needed for Chicken and Potato Casserole With Bechamel Sauce
3 potatoes, roundly sliced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 pound chicken breast, cut in small dices
1 onion, chopped
0.5 green bell pepper, chopped
½ red bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon chili flakes
½ green chili, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons of tomato paste
2 ounces of butter
½ cup flour
½ cup milk
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ cup mozzarella, shredded
How to Cook Chicken and Potato Casserole With Bechamel Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 330°F/165°C.
- Add the potatoes in an oven tray. Season them with dried thyme, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Make sure all of them are covered with spices and oil.
- Roast them for the next 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, you can take care of the chicken. Heat the remaining oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook it for 6-7 minutes. Add the onion, and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add the bell peppers, chilies, and season with chili flakes.
- Add the tomato paste, stir, and leave it on heat for 2 more minutes.
- Take out the roasted potatoes and top them with the cooked chicken.
- Now for the Béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a skillet. Slowly add the flour, while vigorously whisking, so it can be absorbed into the butter.
- Pour the milk and keep whisking until the sauce becomes smooth and thick. Season with nutmeg, and turn off the heat. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Slide the tray into the oven for the next 20 minutes!