Chicken and Pearl Barley Stew
This one has pretty much everything it needs. The chicken meat mixed with pearl barley make it hearty, but the baby spinach, tomatoes, and dill complete it. As for the aromas, let the spices and herbs do their thing together with a touch of honey sweetness.
Ingredients Needed for Chicken and Pearl Barley Stew
½ cup pearl barley
1 ½ cups of water
2 tablespoons of olive oil
10 ounces of chicken breast, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon chili flakes
2 fresh rosemary sprigs
1 tablespoon honey
14 ounces of canned tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock
3 bay leaves
3 ounces of baby spinach
2 tablespoons of fresh dill
How to Make Chicken and Pearl Barley Stew
- Add the pearl barley and water to a bowl. Mix a little then let it soak for 30 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the chicken breast. Cook and stir until it starts changing color and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the red onion, garlic powder, allspice, and chili flakes. Stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fresh rosemary, honey, canned tomatoes, and chicken stock. Stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the bay leaves, stir them in, cover with the lid, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pick and remove the rosemary sprigs and the bay leaves. Add the soaked pearl barley and stir it in.
- Add the baby spinach and fresh dill, stir them in, cover with the lid, and simmer for 15 minutes.