Ingredients Needed for Chicken and Pearl Barley Stew
½ cup pearl barley
1 ½ cups of water
2 tablespoons of olive oil
10 ounces of chicken breast, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon chili flakes
2 fresh rosemary sprigs
1 tablespoon honey
14 ounces of canned tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock
3 bay leaves
3 ounces of baby spinach
2 tablespoons of fresh dill
How to Cook Chicken and Pearl Barley Stew
- Add the pearl barley and water to a bowl. Mix a little then let it soak for 30 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the chicken breast. Cook and stir until it starts changing color and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the red onion, garlic powder, allspice, and chili flakes. Stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fresh rosemary, honey, canned tomatoes, and chicken stock. Stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the bay leaves, stir them in, cover with the lid, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pick and remove the rosemary sprigs and the bay leaves. Add the soaked pearl barley and stir it in.
- Add the baby spinach and fresh dill, stir them in, cover with the lid, and simmer for 15 minutes.