Celery Root and Ricotta Muffins
If you’re looking for new and interesting recipes for savory muffins, try this one – you won’t be sorry, we promise. Celery root is the main ingredient here, and it is paired with ricotta, chia and flax seeds to make these delicious muffins. Another secret to their delicious flavor is the welcomed addition of herbs like basil and thyme.
Ingredients Needed for Celery Root and Ricotta Muffins
1 celery root
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion, julienne sliced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sugar
3.5 ounces of ricotta
1 ounce - chia seeds
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ cup parmesan, shredded
1 tablespoon flax seed
How to Make Celery Root and Ricotta Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Slice the celery root in 0.4 inch (1 cm) thick slices. Cut the slices into halves.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place the sliced celery root on it.
- Season with salt and a light drizzle of olive oil.
- Roast the celery root for the next 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the red onion and cook it until softens.
- Add the sugar and cook until the onion is caramelized.
- Place the caramelized onion in a large bowl. Add the ricotta cheese, chia seeds, the eggs, half of your parmesan, and season with thyme and basil.
- Mix everything using a wooden spoon.
- Remove the roasted celery root from the oven, then heat the oven to 360°F/180°C.
- Next mash the roasted celery root until smooth.
- Grab 6 cupcake silicone molds. Fill around half of each slot with the mashed celery root. Fill the remaining space with the ricotta and onion mixture.
- Garnish with the remaining parmesan, and flaxseeds.
- Cook the muffins for the next 35 minutes!