Ingredients Needed for Caramelized Onion and Grilled Pepper Burger
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 red onion s, sliced
½ cup brown sugar
1 chili pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
½ cup shredded cheddar
¼ cup shredded parmesan
2 burgers patties
2 burger buns
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
⅔ cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
How to Cook Caramelized Onion and Grilled Pepper Burger
- You can start by making the Bechamel sauce.
- Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat and start melting the butter. Add the flour and stir until smooth.
- Cook the mixture on medium heat for about 6-7 minutes, until it has a light, golden color.
- Separately, heat the milk in a separate pan, until just about to boil. Slowly add the hot milk in the butter mixture, whisking continuously until very smooth.
- Cook for 10 more minutes, while stirring, and then remove from the heat. Season the sauce with salt and nutmeg and leave it aside.
- Add the peppers over a hot grill, and cook them for about 3 minutes per side, until they begin to soften.
- Heat a skillet, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and begin caramelizing the onion. Add the brown sugar over the onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook until it’s caramelized.
- Chop the grilled peppers and mix them with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- For the sauce: add the Bechamel sauce over a heated skillet. Add Cheddar and parmesan, reduce the heat, and slowly stir until the sauce smoothens.
- Add remaining vegetable oil in a skillet and fry the burger patty. Cook the burger for about 4-5 minutes per side, depending on your preferences.
- Slice the burger bun and top the bottom layer with the cooked patty, the cheesy sauce, caramelized onion, and grilled peppers. Finish with the top layer.