Braised Pork Belly With Apples and Onions
The fatty pork belly is the celebrated pork cut from which the bacon is prepared. Only this time, we simply want to cook this delicious and popular cut. And we’ll do that by braising it. So, the first step is searing the pork in olive oil and the second is baking it covered at medium temperature. We’ll further flavor the meat in step two by cooking it with thyme, red onion, and apple. Step three: enjoy!
Ingredients Needed for Braised Pork Belly With Apples and Onions
2 pounds of pork belly
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 red onions, quartered
2 apples, cored and wedged
4 garlic cloves
1 cup vegetable stock
1 cup apple cider
How to Make Braised Pork Belly With Apples and Onions
- Cut the pork belly in half and score it. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and rub.
- Heat a pan over high heat, add the meat and fry it on both sides for 6 minutes.
- Add some of the red onions and apples to a baking dish. Season with thyme. Place the two pieces of seared pork belly on top.
- Add the remaining onion and apple wedges and the garlic. Pour the vegetable stock and apple cider, then season with more thyme.
- Cover with the lid and bake for 2 hours at 340⁰F/170⁰C.
- Serve the meat sliced and garnished with fresh tarragon.