Ingredients Needed for Braised Lamb Shank With Vegetables
2 pounds of lamb shank
3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 medium onions, minced
1 tablespoon butter
2 medium celery sticks, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup red wine
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
2 cups of chicken stock
⅔ cup fresh thyme
How to Make Braised Lamb Shank With Vegetables
- Place the lamb shank on the work surface. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and rub in.
- Transfer the lamb shank to a grill pan over high heat. Sear the meat for 5 minutes on both sides. Set aside.
- Heat the last tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over low heat. Add the onion and butter. Cook and stir until onion is tender.
- Add the celery and carrot and stir them in. Add the garlic, season with salt and pepper, and stir in.
- Add the red wine and tomato sauce, stir them in, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the lamb shank to a roomy baking dish. Add the vegetable mixture, the chicken stock, and thyme. Bake for 2 hours at 360⁰F/180⁰C.
- You can serve the lamb shank with mashed potatoes.