Ingredients Needed for Braided Bread
3 cups of warm water
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
2 ounces of honey
⅓ cup olive oil
8 cups of flour
How to Cook Braided Bread
- Preheat the oven to 380°F/190°C.
- Add the water in a mixer bowl. Add the active dry yeast. Keep your mixer running and add the honey. Mix until it’s incorporated into the mixture. Pour the olive oil, add 1 egg, and mix until they are also absorbed. Add the flour gradually. Mix for 2-3 minutes, until you get a sticky dough.
- Spread flour on your working surface. Turn the dough onto the surface and knead it, until smooth, firm and elastic, for about 8-10 minutes. Add a little more flour as the dough becomes sticky.
- Place it into a large bowl and cover it with a kitchen towel. Let it rise for 1 hour.
- Take out your dough and divide it in 3 equal parts.
- Spread flour on your working space. Grab each chunk and roll them in about 12 inches (30 cm) long, and 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter strands.
- Grab each strand and pinch them together at the very top. Start to braid the strands: take the right strand and move it to the middle, then take the left strand and move it to the middle. Continue to braid the strands until you finish. Carefully pinch the ends when finish.
- Crack the remaining egg and whisk it. Coat the bread with it. Sprinkle a few poppy seeds. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Place the bread in it and slide it in the oven for the next 40 minutes.