Ingredients Needed for Black Olive Potato Gratin
1 ounce pitted black olive, slices
0.5 ounce - parmesan
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of flour
1 ½ cups of milk
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon nutmeg
How to Make Black Olive Potato Gratin
- Start with the bechamel sauce.
- Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat and start melting the butter. Add the flour and stir until smooth.
- Cook the mixture on medium heat for about 6-7 minutes, until it has a light, golden color.
- Separately, heat the milk in a separate pan, until just about to boil. Slowly add the hot milk to the butter mixture, whisking continuously until the mixture is very smooth, with no lumps.
- Cook for 10 more minutes, while constantly stirring, and then remove from the heat.
- Season the sauce with salt and nutmeg and leave it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 340 degrees F/170 degrees C.
- Peel and slice the potatoes.
- Take a baking dish (about 4 inches/10 cm diameter) and coat its bottom with 2-3 tablespoons of bechamel sauce.
- Add a layer of potato slices, olives, grate nutmeg and add pepper.
- Continue with bechamel, potatoes, olives, nutmeg, pepper until you finish all the ingredients.
- Top the gratin with grated parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then test the potatoes. If needed, bake until they are cooked through.