Calories: 589 kCal / serving
- 34 g
- 30 g
- 49 g
Ingredients Needed for Beef Stew Topped With Cheesy Mashed Potato Balls
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 pound beef for stew, cubed
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic powder
½ cup red wine
4 bay leaves
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons of water
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
3.5 ounces of cheddar, cubed (some 8 cubes)
1 cup low moisture mozzarella, grated
fresh parsley, chopped (optionally, for garnishing)
For the mashed potatoes:
2 medium potatoes
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons of hot milk
How to Make Beef Stew Topped With Cheesy Mashed Potato Balls
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the beef cubes. Cook and stir until it starts browning, or for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the butter and onion. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes, then simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic powder and season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the red wine and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Add the bay leaves and stir once.
- Add the cornstarch and water to a smaller bowl and mix using a teaspoon. Add this mixture to the skillet and stir once. Add the tomato paste and stir until even.
- Remove the skillet from heat. Transfer the beef mixture to a 10 x 2 inch (25 x 5 cm) round baking dish (or something equivalent) and evenly spread it.
- For the mashed potatoes:
Peel and cube the potatoes, transfer them to a cooking pot, and cover them with salted water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, and gently boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes. Drain them and return them to the pot. Cook them for 1-2 minutes over very low heat to let any moisture evaporate. Add the butter and milk and mash the potatoes until smooth and even.
- Wrap each Cheddar cube with some mashed potatoes and form them into balls. We’ve made 8 of them.
- Place the balls in the baking dish. Spread the grated mozzarella between them. Bake for 30 minutes at 400⁰F/200⁰C.