Ingredients Needed for Beef and Veggie Pie
10 ounces of skirt steak
1 teaspoon olive oil
½ teaspoon nutmeg powder
vegetable oil, for frying
1 red onion, chopped
1 carrot, cut on the bias
4 ounces of mushroom, cu into quarters
½ cup flour
½ cup beer
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 tablespoon butter
1 puff pastry sheet, thawed
1 cup cheddar, shredded
2 egg yolks, whisked
How to Cook Beef and Veggie Pie
- Place the skirt steaks on your wooden board and cut them into thin strips. Season the meat with salt and pepper, then drizzle olive oil on it. Add the rosemary leaves, nutmeg, and combine the flavors rubbing the meat strips with your fingers.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan, then add the meat strips and start frying them on low heat for about 2-3 minutes. Set them aside.
- Take another pan and heat some more vegetable oil in it. Add the red onion and carrot and cook until the onion softens, then add the mushrooms. Continue cooking on medium heat until the carrots and mushrooms start to turn light-brown.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the frying meat pan and place it on medium heat. Add the flour and stir until you make a thick paste. Add the beer and whisk, then add the water gradually, until you obtain a thick sauce. Add the tomato paste, stir, then simmer for 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Butter a tart pan (12-inch/30 cm diameter). Roll out the puff pastry and cut it into 2 sheets. Place one sheet on the bottom and edges of the pan. Add the meat and vegetable filling, the cheddar cheese, then top the pie with the remaining puff pastry sheet.
- Stick the edges of the pie, cut off the excess pastry, then press with your fingers to the pan edges. Coat the pie with whisked egg yolks, using a silicone brush.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 360˚F/180˚C.