Ingredients Needed for Beef and Beer Stew (Carbonade Flamande)
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 pound beef for stew, cubed
7 ounces of bacon, chopped
2 medium onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 teaspoons of mustard
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons of flour
330 fluid ounces of beer
1 tablespoon brown sugar
4 thyme sprigs
3 bay leaves
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
How to Cook Beef and Beer Stew (Carbonade Flamande)
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, then add the cubed beef. Sear and stir until brown-crusted. Set aside.
- Use the same skillet with the drippings to stir and fry the bacon over medium heat. Cook it until translucent.
- Add the onion and turn the heat to low. Cook and stir until tender.
- Add the garlic, mustard, and cider vinegar. Stir them in.
- Add 2 tablespoons of flour and the beer. Stir in, add the brown sugar, thyme sprigs, and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Add the remaining tablespoon of sugar and stir in.
- Add the cooked beef, stir it in and bring to a simmer. Cover with the lid and cook for 2 hours.
- Stir in the chopped parsley, remove from heat and serve.