6 ounces of flour
3 ounces of cornmeal
6 ounces of cold butter
8 tablespoons of cold water
3 onions, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 apples, diced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 teaspoon mustard powder
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 ¼ cups of apple cider
3 ounces of Swiss cheese, grated
1 whisked egg
- Add the flour and cornmeal to a bowl and mix them shortly.
- Add the cold butter and mix until you have a dough using your hands. Gradually add the cold water in the process. Also, add 1-2 teaspoons of flour.
- Shape the dough into a ball and wrap it in plastic. Refrigerate overnight.
- Add one tablespoon of butter to a pan over low heat and melt it while stirring.
- Add the onion, olive oil, and diced apples. Cook and stir for 10 minutes.
- Add the thyme, mustard powder, cayenne pepper, rosemary, and apple cider. Cook and stir until reduced.
- Dust your work surface with flour and flatten the dough using the rolling pin.
- Top the flattened dough with most of the Swiss cheese, add the cooked apple mixture, then top with the remaining cheese. You can garnish the whole thing with some more thyme.
- Fold the dough edges over the apple filling so that it forms a 2-inch wide rim.
- Coat the rim with whisked egg, then bake for 30 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.